Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:20:31 -0600
From:      "John Nielsen" <hackers@jnielsen.net>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gif(4) tunnel through MSN DSL modem

Hi folks,

I tried this on -questions without any luck, so I'm hoping for a better
response here . :)

I remotely administer a FreeBSD 4.5 machine that is connected to the
internet through and MSN DSL modem.  This modem does NAT (for a single
client) rather than bridging the connection.  So the FreeBSD machine thinks
its public address is 192.168.1.2 (when in reality the modem is the only
device with a public address).  This machine is itself doing NAT, acting as
a firewall and gateway for a private network.

I would like to establish a gif(4) tunnel between this machine and my
firewall here in order to link the two private networks into one virtual
network.  I have done this before with two machines that were directly
connected to the internet, but in this case the DSL modem on the far end
seems to be fouling things up.  The modem seems to be passing everything
through, but I haven't gotten gif to work.

Any ideas?  Here's what I've tried--this is how I'd set it up if the DSL
modem weren't in the way.

[excerpts from rc.conf on far (DSL) end]
# Private interface
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
# "Public" interface -- 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252"
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
gif_interfaces="gif0"
gifconfig_gif0="DSL.public.ip myend.public.ip"
ifconfig_gif0="192.168.6.1 192.168.0.1"
static_routes="john"
route_john="-net 192.168.0 -interface gif0"

[excerpts from rc.conf on this {my) end]
# Private interface
ifconfig_ep0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
# Public interface
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
gif_interfaces="gif0"
gifconfig_gif0="myend.public.ip DSL.public.ip"
ifconfig_gif0="192.168.0.1 192.168.6.1"
static_routes="DSL"
route_DSL="-net 192.168.6 -interface gif0"

I've tried both the modem's (real) public address and 192.168.1.1 (the
public interface's address) for DSL.public.ip, but neither seems to work.
Can this be made to work?  Can gif be hacked so it will work?

I can't justify switching to a more expensive provider just so this tunnel
will work, since it will mostly be a convenience for me and not the client.
As far as I know, there's no way to modify any settings on the DSL modem
itself.  I do have full access to both FreeBSD machines.  Again, any
suggestions or even a detailed description of why this won't work would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

JN