Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
Cc:        aron@cs.rice.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scheduling queues in FreeBSD

:Matthew Dillon said:
:>
:>     The 'idle' and 'realtime' queues were hacked in I don't know when, but
:>     they don't work very well... there are a number of situations that can
:>     cause machine lockups.  Frankly, I'd like to see both ripped out completely
:>     and a better solution put in later on.
:>
:I agree -- they create messy LL code, and as you say, just don't work correctly.
:--
:John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
:dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid
:jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.

    One thing we could do that would accomplish virtually the same goals would
    be to 'lock' the cpu priority.  This would be a great temporary solution.

    If the cpu priority is locked into queue 0, we are effectively equivalent
    to the idle queue.  If the cpu priority is locked into queue 31, we are
    effectively equivalent to the realtime queue.   We then reduce the
    priority range that 'normal' processes are allowed to obtain such that they
    fall into queues 1-30.  Poof, done.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>