Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:38:08 -0400
From:      Justin C Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Recommend a NIC

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 14:16, you wrote:

> 	You DIDN'T just say that... DID you?!?
>
> 	*falls over laughing*
>
> 	The difference between a 3Com and a RealTek is only the price?  *shakes
> his head and makes a note not to get a cable modem...*

NICs come into our warehouse in sheets; 3Com cards cost us 3 times as much
and invariably had some duds on every allotment.  RealTek didn't when we
ordered from them.  I was using RealTek vs. 3Com because I've seen people
attach value judgements to those brand names when overall, the brand name
only made a difference in price.  If you're going to make a recommendation,
it'd be nice to have some evidence other than anecdotal.

My personal best experience with network cards in FreeBSD came from Intel
EtherExpress chipsets in two different machines.  That's not a lot to judge
from, of course.  I've also had good luck with 3Com 9xx series cards, which
use a different driver (xl instead of ep) from the troublesome ones Gavin
mentioned.   I unfortunately haven't experienced and don't know of a fix for
the ep flakiness...  That might be a question for the freebsd-hardware list.

Justin