Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:22:57 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "The Man In Black" <samz@oz.net>
Subject:   Re: Packet Collisions

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 05:20:15 -0700, The Man In Black wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a source or tell me if there is an easy way to do
>packet collision diagnoses?
>
>I have noticed the collision light on my HUB (Linksys 5-port 10BT) light up
>more often then the past. It doesn't happen alot during modem operations
>since its so slow..but at a higher speed transfer...like If I transfer a 5
>meg file from the unix box to my windows machine the collision light on the
>HUB stays pegged the whole time.
>
>I thought this was from using a cheap network card clone, so i upgraded my
>ethernet cards. both the unix box and my windows machine are using high
>quality PCI 3COM cards..but I'm still getting these collisions. I have also
>tried a number of different RJ-45 cables...nothing helps.

Collisions are a common occurance on Ethernet due to it's design.  You
can read about it in the following excellent book:

                    Lan Tutorial With Glossary of Terms : A Complete
Introduction to Local Area Networks
                    (Lan Networking Library) ~ Usually ships in 24
hours
                         Steve Steinke (Editor), et al / Paperback /
Published 1996
                         Our Price: $21.56 ~ You Save: $5.39 (20%)

Available at http://www.amazon.com/
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.