Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Sean Witham <sean.witham@asa.co.uk>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I'm sorry, but when you write code for a safety related system you
>     do not dynamically allocate memory at all.  It's all essentially static.
>     There is no issue with the memory resource.  Besides, none of the BSD's are
>     certified for any of that stuff that I know of.
>
>     What's next:  A space shot?  These what-if scenarios are getting
>     ridiculous.

	Well, NetBSD is slated to be used in the 'Space Acceleration
	Measurement System II', measuring the microgravity environment on
	the International Space Station using a distributed system based
	on several NetBSD/i386 boxes.

	Sometimes your 'what-if' senarios are others' standard operating
	procedures.

		David/absolute

       What _is_, what _should be_, and what _could be_ are all distinct.