Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 11:47:44 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA observations in FreeBSD 4.6-RC

Hi,

it seems that the ATA subsystem has some bugs in recent FreeBSD-STABLE
versions, and it looks as though FreeBSD 4.6 is going to ship with these
bugs. Whom do I seat in front of these to prevent this?

1. PR kern/37060: kernel panic with hw.ata.tags=1 in ata-disk.c:710
   filed April 14 (five weeks ago)

   The kernel does not boot at all on my machine.
   This PR has never been replied to, but it's marked as critical with
   high priority because it's a show-stopper.

   This MUST be fixed before 4.6 RELEASE. If the fix is: disable ATA
   tagged queueing altogether not only by default, but also ignore
   hw.ata.tags, so be it.

2. to be filed shortly: at initial boot, all my three ATA drives
   attached to my VIA KT133 are used in UDMA66 mode. After wakeup from
   APM standby, all ATA interfaces are reset and all primary drives are
   in UDMA33 mode henceforth.

   Affects performance of the system, should also be fixed before
   4.6-RELEASE.

3. not yet filed, because it's documented: FreeBSD doesn't try Tagged
   Queueing on WDC 420400D or IBM DJNA drives. Linux 2.5.15 uses tagged
   queueing on these drives, it seems, it works.

   Missing feature, should be fixed soon after 4.6 or at least for 5.0
   (ok, 5.0 is off-topic here)

NB: I'm only subscribed to FreeBSD-stable, so please Cc: me when
removing stable from your reply destination address.

--
Matthias Andree