Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:46:41 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It%s not the write cache on 3.0-STABLE and not tagged comma

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 09:02:18AM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> He is getting poor performance for sequential writes with a Seagate disk
> under CAM.  Write throughput to the disk is fairly erratic.  (i.e., lots of
> ups and downs)
>
> He has the problem under 2.2.7 with tagged queueing enabled, but not when
> he disables tagged queueing.  The problem occurs under 3.0 with or
> without tagged queueing.
>
> I told him to disable write caching, since I have seen similar problems
> when write caching is enabled, but that didn't seem to fix the problem.
>
> Any ideas?

BTW, a friend of mine works for VIVA. They have lots of HP Kajak's
and he told me _lots_ of problems with firmware, since HP seems
to put his _own_ drivers in everything they can ;-) He ponited
me to HP's support site to do a firmware upgrade, but I couldn't
find something for Harddisks :-/

But if write performance is poor, but actually doesn't eat up
that much CPU performance. Why is the FreeBSD machine so much
"in-responsive". It means I merely can login on a second console,
I have to wait 10-15 seconds for a login. And the execution of
commands lags lags lags.

Ok, perhaps it's a race condition of the disk .... that perhaps
login, csh and other things can't be read from disk, because it's
upgly hung or busy transferring things for bonnie ...

BTW, when HP puts his own firmware to a disk, do they change
the description of the disk ... ? Or in other words, I wrote to
you the description of the disk (SEAGATE bla...), doesn somebody
other have this disk and such problems ???

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?