Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:34:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rxvt and finger

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Jeffrey Dunitz wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Why aren't rxvt windows not displayed with finger?
>

> Because they're not "login shells" by default.  Start one up like so:
> rxvt -ls &
> ...and you should see it in the finger list. There is a resource setting
> for that, but I can't remember what it is. Look at the rxvt manpage if
> you want to set it permanently.
>

> Login shells read your .profile or .cshrc file, whereas non-login shells
> may not. This behavior is a little different on every unix variant.

This was not the problem. Rxvt does not update /var/run/utmp (see 'man
utmp') by default. In the mailinglistarchives is a fix for the port, but
this one isn't complete. Configure can't find the utmp file for a reason I
don't know, but updating the config.h file by hand fixes this.

I hope somebody can do something with this. (And the maintainer of the
port will update this).

For questions, please mail me.

Greetings,

Ronald.