Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 20:49:25 EST
From:      n9ogk@juno.com (Jack W Doyle)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XInside (Was: Can't find Xm)

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:45:43 +1030 (CST) grog@lemis.de writes:
>Josef Grosch writes:
>>>
>>> Im trying to move a package from a SCO to a freebsd box - gwstat -
>and it
>>> uses xmgr - which is where Im stuck.  I put the X11R6 libs and
>includes
>>> in, and thats fine, but its looking for headers in include/Xm as
>well as
>>> include/X11 - is that motif?  Is there a port of this some place?
>or of
>>> XMGR?
>>>
>>> I assume there is a solution since the make file has a section for
>linux
>>> people, and therefore it couldnt be requiring something commercial
>no?
>>>
>>> Any and all help is appreciated!
>>>

>> Xm is Motif. XI Graphics have a very good port of Motif to FreeBSD.
>It will
>> cost you $150.00. Their URL is http://www.xinside.com
>
>Good advice, but XInside has changed their name.  The following
>message might amuse you:
>
>> http://www.xig.com/ci/pr/970219.xigraphics.html
>>
>> Leading Software Company Changes Name to Avoid Confusion with
>Internet
>> Porn Denver -- A leading developer of high-performance graphical
>> software has changed its name from X Inside to Xi Graphics. The
>> reason: Ongoing confusion between the software developer and the
>> increasing number of X-rated pornography companies on the Internet.
>>
>> "We develop software that solves performance, compatability, and
>> correcness issues in the UNIX X Windows environment," explains
>Richard
>> Van Dyke, vice president of marketing. "However, we do not address
>the
>> performance issues of the sexually adventurous."
>>
>> The name X Inside brought a plethora of requests for pornographic
>> material, and even impacted the company principals in their dealings
>> outside the computer field. "An aspiring model even went so far as
>> show me a portfolio of highly suggestive photographs," explained
>> Thomas Roell, president and chief technology designer. "We felt a
>name
>> change was in order."
>
>Greg

I find this a bit on the hilarious side.  I can only surmise what other
organizations/companies whose name start with 'X' are going through.
Will this force the UNIX community to rename 'X Window System' (or X11R6
or X or whatever the individual calls it -- I call it X for simplicity :)
) to something that would eliminate confusion? :)

Jack

You know you've been using UNIX enough when:
* You remember UNIX commands faster than those for DOS.
* You try to configure Win95 the same way you try to configure your X
window manager.
* Someone asks you what wordproc you use and you reply 'vi' (or your
favorite text editor).
* You type 'ls -a' instead of 'dir /w' in DOS.