Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:40:39 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with NSLU2 and U-Boot

I am trying to get the NSLU2 to natively boot FreeBSD from flash itself
w/o any TFTP server.

Thanks to Rink and Rafal's help, I managed to get U-Boot installed and
working on the Linksys NSLU2.
Using hints from the OpenMoko page, I generated a U-Boot image from an
NSLU2 kernel build from -CURRENT, and managed to boot it over the
network -- however -- the kernel is not coming up.
mkimage hints here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD

If I add 'options VERBOSE_SYSINIT' to the kernel config, I can see that
the kernel is going off into space... right after init_turnstile0() is
called.   MMU problems?

[I had to track this down with nm, as addr2line seems to only print the
first patch.]

I saw similar symptoms when trying to boot with the simple ELF
trampoline, from both RedBoot and U-Boot on the NSLU2. An ELF kernel
loaded into RedBoot seemed to work just fine, providing the load address
was given explicitly.

[Recall: The problem with RedBoot on the NSLU2 is that its boot-time
settings cannot be changed, it is locked into executing a Linux-style
image at a hard wired address, so a change of firmware may be necessary
in order to boot FreeBSD natively on that platform.]

cheers
BMS