Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:25:34 -0800
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache has fallen [and it won't get up]

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:56:19 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> wrote:

> Interesting. /etc/resolv.conf has last been changed like 10 minutes
> ago [not knowingly by me though]. All it says is
>
> search mshome.net
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> Since my workstation is delliver.mshome.net and also shares its
> internet connection on my lan via ics from and its ip addr on the lan
> is as shown, what's up do you think?

Are you running a DHCP client on that machine?  In my experience, the
DHCP client that comes with FreeBSD will write a new /etc/resolv.conf
file whenever it obtains a new lease.

> [...]
> If it's really just apache that's having the trouble I wonder if it
> could be a race condition? I notice that apache starts from a shell
> cmd when fbsd reboots.
>
> Swami: ls -l /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh
> -r-xr-xr--  1 root  pgsql  875 Nov 11 17:24
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh-rwxr-x--x  1 root  wheel  407 Nov 12
> 19:33 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh-rwxr-xr--  1 root  wheel  144 Nov
> 12 16:18 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/landns.root.sh Swami:
>
> What determines the sequence in which these three scripts run?

Alphabetical (actually ASCII) sort order.  So 010.pgsql.sh will run
first, then apache2.sh, then landns.root.sh.  If you want, say,
landns.root.sh to run first, rename it 005.landns.root.sh, or something
to that effect.

HTH,
-Chris