Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 13:36:22 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail...

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Christopher Sedore wrote:

> Isn't this more or less what MH does at a user level?  I've often thought
> that the MH model could be extended in many ways to do the above.

    Yes, but I suspect you can add a layer of abstraction to the mail
handling process if you treat it at the filesystem level rather at the
directory structure level.  Sort of like the way 4.4BSD "ps" can read
and use the /proc filesystem.  I imagine mailing handling can also be
made much more efficient, especially on large systems.  Pulling stuff
out of a /var/mail directory containing 6000 files is no fun.  A mail
fs could be optimized for this, since it no longer is restricted by
Berkeley ffs rules.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org