Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:13:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Darren Spruell <darren_spruell@sento.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing to HP LaserJet 4050 TN

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Darren Spruell wrote:

> We have this printer set up to print to from the network and I have
> printed to it by IP address before. It is connected to a Windows server
> but I would like to print directly to it by IP from my fbsd 4.7 box.
>
> I have installed the cups-base, cups-pstoraster, and ghostscript-gnu
> packages. Afterwards I looked through the Handbook but didn't see
> anything that cleared up the process of configuring this printer.

It's a PostScript printer, so you shouldn't need ghostscript.  I can't
help you with CUPS, never tried it.  Good old ordinary printcap entries
work fine:

lpraw:\
	:lp=:\
	:sh:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rm=laser:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/lpraw:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

After creating the spool directory (sd=) and entering an IP address for
"laser" in /etc/hosts, this works fine.  This is just for sending raw
PostScript output, of course.  The queue name is lpraw, so you'd print
to it with

# lpr -Plpraw postscriptfile.ps

My lp queue runs through a little Perl program that detects PostScript
and passes it through.  Text is formatted with enscript and then
printed.  I can post the whole setup if you'd like.