Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:10:09 -0500
From:      "Schlechter, Fred" <FRS@MacLeanPower.com>
To:        <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: keyboard and mouse issues

-----Original Message-----
From: Schlechter, Fred=20
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:46 AM
To: 'Torfinn Ingolfsen'
Subject: RE: keyboard and mouse issues

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-usb@freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Torfinn Ingolfsen
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:20 PM
To: freebsd-usb@freebsd.org

Hello,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:53:59 -0500
"Schlechter, Fred" <FRS@MacLeanPower.com> wrote:

> The mouse pointer disappears when keys are pressed on the keyboard.
> The mouse pointer reappears only when the mouse is moved or one of
> the mouse buttons is pressed. This happens only in the console and

>>AFAIK, this works as designed. And it has been working like that long
>>before 7.0.

You're correct, please see below.

> I really can't say if this is a bug, but it is annoying and this issue
> did not exist when using a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

>>Are you certain about that? I just tested a few systems here, and all
>>remove the mouse pointer i console when keys are pressed. Some of =
these
>>systems run FreeBSD 6.x, and one runs 7.0-stable.

The problem was with my mouse.

To verify the problem I connected my original PS2 mouse/keybrd and =
rebooted.
The mouse pointer did not disappear when keys were pressed but only when =
looked at the mouse pointer very closely did I see why. Apparently the =
PS2
mouse is broken and even though it's not being touched it "quivers" very =

slightly. The console sees that quivering as mouse movement and so =
displays
the mouse pointer.

I recently upgraded to 7.0 and at the same time switched over to a USB =
mouse
and keyboard. So I assumed that the disappearing mouse pointer was a =
possible
bug with the 7.0 release.

Thank you for your response(s), without them I probably wouldn't have =
noticed
something so subtle.

Fred S.