Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:41:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk (Dominic Mitchell)
Cc:        adamw@holonet.net (Adam Wight), freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more

> On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 06:03:19AM -0500, Mike Pritchard wrote:
> > > Speaking of which, are there any plans to actually document vi any time
> > > soon?  Lots of useful features are missing from the man page!
> >
> > Sure!  Where are your patches for this?  I'll review them
> > and commit them as soon as you supply them!
>
> Why bother?  They are already documented in the vi papers, which are
> distributed in the system already under
> /usr/share/doc/usd/{12.vi,13.viref}.  There is a reference to these in
> the vi man pages already.

True, but it would be nice if the man page was extended to
include some more documentation.  Remember, a lot of our users are
lazy and if "man xxxxx" doesn't give them what they want, then
they don't go looking elsewhere.  Sad, but true.

Now, the vi(1) man page does refer to the usd document, but
doesn't tell you how to find it.  That is a problem.  It also
references the "vi quick reference" card", which I have no idea
where to find that (I used to have one sitting one my desk :-).

I think that the originator's request is valid, especially since
some of the original BSD documentation in /usr/share/doc/* has
rotted since it was originally imported.  We have been maintaining
those documents more as a "historical" perspective than as
accurate documentation on the current state of affairs.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net