Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:33:14 -0400
From:      Identry <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot failure

> Try downloading and booting the livefs environment (I think you need cd1
> and the livefs cd or just the DVD) and see if you can mount it from
> that, if not it could be a controller issue. If you can then its
> probably your OS/kernel but at least you now have access to your
> data/configs etc etc not to mention you could try extracting the GENERIC
> kernel from the install media (use the install.sh script in the kernels
> directory.)

Okay! Good news, I think. I used the 'fixit' mode, that is available
through the installation disk, to mount the disk that fails to mount
during boot up.

What I did was:

mount /dev/mfid0s1a /test

It mounts successfully and I can see everything in that partition.

So I guess the question now is, if I can mount it manually, why
doesn't it mount during the boot process?

-- John