Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:46:44 -0400
From:      nawcom <nawcom@nawcom.no-ip.com>
To:        jpeg@thilelli.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek RTL8169 on FreeBSD 5.4: no carrier.

what irq information for re0 is listed when you do "vmstat -i"?
theres known issues for gigabit devices like this. I know some people
have fixed the "no carrier" issue (with broadcom gigabit) by using the
windows ndis driver. perhaps you can give that a try?

before using the ndis driver give this patched mod a try:
http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/re/

another common issue with gigabit devices is when the interface is set
up to "autoselect".  Does the the diode on the ethernet card and the
diode on the switch/hub/whatever blink at the same time and then turn
off (or something along the line)?

the fix for this is to manually setup the mediatype to a fixed speed and
duplex. That has been a fix for many people.
Hope this helps
Ben