Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 15:36:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@lynx.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
Cc:        "'Nick Pearson'" <nick@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl>, "'Greg Ungerer'" <gerg@stallion.oz.au>, "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to add a delay before getty displays login prompt ? SOLVED THANKS

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Angelo Turetta wrote:

> Nick gave me the right tip.
>
> Using ttydx (and ttyEx for the Stallion) in ttys(5) fixed the problem.
> BTW, what is the difference between /dev/ttydx and /dev/cuaax.

ttyd* is a dial in device, while cuaa* is a dialout deveice.
this means that you can have getty running on ttyd0, and start kermit on
cuaa0 to dialout, without having to turn getty off.  Also, ttyd* watches
carrier differently from the cua devices.  If you read /etc/rc.serial you
might get some mre understanding.  You might also find my mods to
rc.serial in 2.2 and -current handy for initializing and locking ports
using 16550s and Stallion (and cyclades and Digiboard).  My mods allow
you to select the call-in/call-out device rather than being locked into
cuaa* and ttyd*.

Danny