Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:11:42 +0300
From:      "Artem Kuchin" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
To:        "Peter Jeremy" <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is a good choice of sata-ii raid controller for freebsd?

>On 2007-Feb-12 16:07:03 +1030, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
>>I regularly ship systems overseas where the power fails frequently. The
>>inability to boot because one disk got hosed is Bad News (tm).

>A decent UPS can help here.

No, i can't. I have seen UPS (even APC) fail in some cases. Computers
got frozen. Also, i've seen many cases when power failes for more than 4 hours
and nobody want to buy UPS which hold 4 hours of power for a dual xeon
with 5 hdds.

>>It depends on your exact situation, I was just pointing out that SW RAID
>>doesn't cover all the bases HW RAID does.

>If the disk is dead then the BIOS will skip it and the system should
>boot normally (I've tested this by pulling a disk since I didn't have
>a suitable dead disk to hand).  A hard error in the 2nd stage boot
>loader, ficl or the kernel is definitely the worst case - I agree that
>this is very difficult for software raid to recover from.

No, BIOS does not always do it. If HDD REALLY fails (chips fried or
something is really messy) the BIOS often just become frozen and
never boots. I have seen it too.

 I've seen many things, you know :))

>Note that even with hardware raid, there are still lots of failure
>points.  The least reliable parts of a current computer are the CPU
>and PSU fans, not the disks.

That is why RAID controller MUST be w/o fans and there must be MANY fans
inside server case and there MUST constant temperature monitoring with
SMS, EMAIL, ICQ messages on alarams.

--
Artem