Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:24:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: it's time...

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9908111247560.14648-100000@sasami.jurai.net>
"Matthew N. Dodd" writes:
: The line wrapping stuff I brought back for the EISA bus stuff in -current
: makes it easy to define the wrap point.  If some small number of people
: want the ability to wrap at 132 or 40 or whatever, I don't think its
: unreasonable to provide them the knob to tweak in the boot loader.

Despite what nate think about 80 columns, my PDA cannot display more
than between 30-45 characters, depending on the font, so having a knob
for that would be useful in the long term.

It also would allow one to kick the VGA display into 132 columns in
the boot loader and have more of a chance to get more of the boot
process on the screen.  syscons already supports parts of this...

There is no reason to hard code 80 into the kernel.  Otherwise one
could argue why have stty columns at all :-).

Warner