Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:21:55 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Max Clark <max.clark@yipinet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console on serial port?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 12:39:10PM -0800, Max Clark wrote:
> I am in the process of compiling a kernel for one of my FreeBSD machines and
> I would like to put the console on the serial port. How do you do this?

See,

   /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial

And in the Handbook,

   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x12232.html

Also the LINT kernel,

   /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

From that file,

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4

#
# `flags' for serial drivers that support consoles (only for sio now):
#       0x10    enable console support for this unit.  The other console flags
#               are ignored unless this is set.  Enabling console support does
#               not make the unit the preferred console - boot with -h or set
#               the 0x20 flag for that.  Currently, at most one unit can have
#               console support; the first one (in config file order) with
#               this flag set is preferred.  Setting this flag for sio0 gives
#               the old behaviour.
#       0x20    force this unit to be the console (unless there is another
#               higher priority console).  This replaces the COMCONSOLE option.
#       0x40    reserve this unit for low level console operations.  Do not
#               access the device in any normal way.