Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:25:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Willey <willey@etla.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD USB project, help requested

    > I'm not sure I follow you here.  You can locate [OU]HCI devices by their
    > PCI class/subclass codes without needing to resort to vendor/product
    > IDs.
    >
    > > The final result should be according to [OU]HCI spec and chipset
    > > independent, I agree, but for the moment we do not have the knowledge
    > > nor the base to claim that it is chipset independent.
    >
    > If we cleave to the standard to start with, we'll be better off than
    > trying to separate the standard-compliant parts from the
    > chipset-specific parts later on...

We are talking about the same thing, I think. It's just that I do not
want to put the label 'UHCI compliant' on it when I have tested it with
only one chip.

Second, you need to recognise the chip to be able to apply the quirks:
PIIX4: Switch on interrupt, supports power protection, etc.

Three, from the code you would be able to derive that PIIX4 is only
mentioned in the uhc_pci.c code to print a nice string at boot time.

Four, I need alpha testers to see if, working from the UHCI spec and not
the chip spec (I only found out last sunday that the PIIX4 supports
power protection), I created something which is UHCI compliant. It is
just too early to claim that. I am not working at a marketing company
like MicroSchoft.

Nick

STA-ISIS, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A