Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:50:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, davids@webmaster.com, scrappy@hub.org, beyssac@enst.fr, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

> > > 	At WebMaster, we have NT servers, Linux servers, FreeBSD servers, Sparc
> > > servers, and an Irix server. We use each machine for what it does best.
> >
> > I'd be interested in a list of things that FreeBSD doesn't do as
> > well as the other servers.
>
> 	I can give you a list of things from my experience (not a
> webmaster.com employee). Threads, SMP, NFS, and purify. I can't think of
> anything NT does better than any unix though. :)

I'll argue the threads with you until I'm blue in the face, if
you want.  8-).  Kernel threads are about the most bone-headed
idea ever invented (the most bone-headed, as any idiot knows,
is getting involved in a land war in Asia).

Yeah, SGI is getting good at SMP.  Buying Cray will do that for
a company.

The NFS stuff is demoralizing.  Someone should contact the
Unioversity of Guelph.

For "purify", if you meant on Linux, I can't believe that you
are serious, given some of the pig tricks for things like
NULL pointer arguments to string functions...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.