Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:21:54 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin <kevin@vocaboly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind BIND 9.3.5 configuration

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 06:22:27AM -0700, Kevin wrote:
> I installed bind 9.3.5 on my new FreeBSD 6.3 server. I copied
> named.conf directly from my old server (originally from the Internet),

Since you've done this, you should use mergemaster to interactively
merge the changes in the system default src/etc/namedb/named.conf into
yours.  This should solve any errors you receive.

> Q1. Bind gave me errors on the following lines due to missing files, I
> have only empty.db, localhost-forward.db and localhost-reverse.db.
> Should I modify all localhost.rev to localhost-reverse.db? Is it safe
> to remove all lines about localhost-v6.rev?

See above.

> Q2. Regarding the following lines, it seems that I should uncomment
> the forwarders, is it the the same IP in /etc/resolv.conf? Or I need
> to ask my ISP?
> // If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider, enter
> // its IP address here, and enable the line below.  This will make you
> // benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS traffic in the Internet.
> /*
>         forwarders {
>                 127.0.0.1;
>         };
> */

No, you don't need to ask your ISP, and no, you don't need to enable
forwarders unless you want to.  You should read the official BIND docs
on what forwarders do, to get the full understanding.  :-)

> Q3. About the following comments, should I enable a local name server?
> and how to do it exactly? I have added 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf, but
> how to enable it in /etc/rc.conf?
> // If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1
> // first in your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be queried.
> // Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> I have used this configuration for several years and always quite
> confused. I have put my named.conf at
> http://www.msofficeforums.com/named.conf . Please give me some
> suggestions. Thanks!

You should put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in /etc/resolv.conf, that way your
own local machine as a resolver (e.g. will rely on the BIND/named
daemon).

/etc/rc.conf is used to enable BIND/named on startup.  You should
place the following there:

named_enable="yes"