Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:58:48 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Bluezmo" <bluezmo@earthlink.net>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hmm

"Bluezmo" <bluezmo@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've been tussling with installing & implementing FreeBSD 5 on a laptop =
for
>about 2 weeks now.  The initial install took 4 days (which I expected =
given
>I knew nothing about BSD) & I've whittled down the install time to
>approximately 45 minutes from a DOS partition.  I reinstalled because =
not
>all my hardware functions.

You've done well to persevere with a 5.0 install on a laptop, as your =
first
=46reeBSD experience.

>Yesterday my buddy who recommended I try BSD as an alternative to Linux =
came
>over & we attempted the install of BSD 4.7 because it was "stable".  I =
had
>hoped that we would be able to configure a PCMCIA ethernet card on the =
front
>end of the install by checking the conflicts & punching in the ports & =
IQ's
>documented by Windows (laptop, dual booted).  We tried using the FTP =
site
>but the card didn't function.  I tried the same paradigm for the CD ROM =
with
>the same results.

4.7 would be a better install for anyone who would consider themself a =
newbie.
The subscribers to FreeBSD-questions have more experience of the 4 =
branch, so
you would be more likely to get valid answers to technical questions.

>OK, rather than suffer the anticipated wrath of the BSD community by =
posting
>to an inappropriate area, I have several questions about this =
experience.

Your fears are, IMHO, unfounded.  Though you're wise to ask first, and =
it's
exactly the type of question that's on topic here.

>I joined the newbie group because I am a newbie & will want to ask =
questions.

Great, but your technical questions should be asked on -questions.
You probably won't get flamed even if your question is a FAQ or is well
covered in the handbook; especially if you mention you're fairly new.

>I've read until my eyeballs are swimming with "inuxes" & am slightly
>frustrated because I simply want to learn the OS rather than search
>newsgroups for the appropriate forum.  When I click the link
>http://www.freebsd.org/search.html , to search, a redirect shuttles me =
to a
>message that the link doesn't function.  So, I'm posting here because my
>concerns are newbie concerns.  Hopefully, someone will take the time to
>comment.

That page is at http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html
Where is the link you clicked?  You should inform the appropriate =
webmaster
if there's a broken link somewhere.

I often use the amazing google machine to search FreeBSD questions =
archive:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3Dlang_en&group=3Dmailing.free=
bsd.questions

>1) If I don't find specific hardware listed in the hardware list, does =
that
>mean the drivers aren't available period?  People expound on the =
advantages
>of open source code being ultimately customizable.  In short, if the =
drivers
>aren't available for a device, and the kernel can't be configured, what =
can
>be done (if anything) to get the device to function?

I've heard rumours that some FreeBSD developers will work for hardware =
almost ;)
but it amazes me how much hardware is well supported.  Perhaps the very =
worst
hardware is less likely to be of interest to the developers.  Also, it =
would
depend on the "inux" friendliness of the manufacturer.  But I'm a newbie,=
 so
don't quote me.  You'll get a better answer on -questions.

>2) Given the scenario (and post discussion with other "inux" users) it =
has
>been suggested that I try Linux initially to get my feet wet in the =
"inux"
>environment.  My buddy says to stick with BSD.

I'd definitely go with your buddy.  But it mostly depends what you're
trying to achieve...

>In the endless documentation I've perused, mention was made of Open & =
Net BSD.
>My perception was that those flavors maybe better suited to my goals.
>Frankly I don't know & want to gather some feedback.

Some say OpenBSD is the securest thing since Fort Knox, and others that =
NetBSD
will run on your toaster! The latter works well on some odd 486s I have, =
where
=46ree won't.  Using NetBSD a little helps me appreciate the familiarity =
of Free.
Though some of the differences are interesting...

I never thought I'd have _free_ access to such quality software.

>So, if someone is out there & cares to perhaps elaborate, it would be
>appreciated.  I have several computers, Windows & Macintosh & want to =
learn
>UNIX.

You will have a lot of fun.  Can you run OS ten on that Mac?

(Though you should perhaps not state the "UNIX" word so loudly.  But =
that,
as they say, is another story.)

Good luck.
John.