Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:02:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mbailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i can help

: Well a rpc.lockd and rpc.statd would be helpful.... :)

No current RFCs exist on these protocols, to the best of my knowledge.
They are a Sun value added feature on top of NFS.  Neither one of them
is described in detail in either of the Stevens books.  However, he
does provide a pointer to Chapters 9, 10, 11 of [X/Open 1991] that
supposedly provide details of the lock manager.

[X/Open 1991] is listed as

X/Open. 1991. _Protocols for X/Open Internetworking: XNFS_. X/Open,
Reading, Berkshire, U.K.
	A better description of Sun RPC, XDR and NFS.  Also contains a
	description of the NFS lock manager and status monitor
	protocols, along with appendicies detailing the semantic
	differences that can be encountered using NFS, verses local
	file access.  X/Open document number XO/CAE/91/030.

However, I know from contacts that I have that used to maintain
Solbourne's OS/MP that the lock protocol has changed several times,
even in "mere" patches, and I've had these conversations since 1991,
so I'm not sure how helpful this document will be in defining the
current state of the art.

Warner