Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:41:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, kline@tera.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

> What are you doing to promote FreeBSD beside pissing and moaning? All
> you are managing to do is to get youself enshrined in peoples kill
> filters.

Brett is a typical journalist.  The only difference is, he's *FreeBSD's*
journalist.

Brett has done many published articles about FreeBSD.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Brett has been a strong FreeBSD
evangelist, and while you may not agree with everything (or even
anything) that he says under the influence of evnagelical fervor,
FreeBSD needs evangelists.

> Brett, If you don't have something positive to contribute please have the
> good grace to bugger off.

I think if the only thing he has done in this thread is rile up
FreeBSD'ers, who were going to give the day a miss, into going and
"showing the colors", then he's done his evangelical best for FreeBSD.
Brett is contributing what he can.  Not everyone is a kernel hacker;
I think the KDE thread (on advocacy?  chat?) recognizes this fact.
To (probably mis-) quote SEF:

	The free software community has finally found a geek who
	thinks writing applications are cool.  God help us all.

Or to coin one from me:

	FreeBSD: Not just for kernel hackers any more

Or to coin another one:

	FreeBSD: Not just the power to serve

I personnally am very happy FreeBSD is starting to get people other
than kernel geeks (like me) involved.  Now if only we could find a
lot of people who thought writing articles, books, and documentation
was a cool thing to do on the weekend.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---