Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:50:01 -0700
From:      Maury Markowitz <mmarkowitz@ceiss.org>
To:        "'freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: An article from Microsoft

On Wednesday, October 06, 1999 9:00 AM, Greg Skafte
[SMTP:skafte@worldgate.ca] wrote:
> A very interesting artical on the weaknesses of linux to
> bad it's trying to promote NT ....

  Interesting part that I noticed right off the bat...

110 percent better performance on a 4-way system than similarly configured
single processor and 4-way Linux/SAMBA systems.

  They're testing _Windows_ printing performance on Unix using 3rd party
software and saying it's not as good as a pure Windows printing solution.
Is this supposed to surprise me? Notably when it appears that MS goes out of
it's way to break SAMBA with every upgrade?

Linux Needs Real World Proof Points Rather than Anecdotal Stories

  Ok, here's my "real world" one.  Last week NT4.0SP5 did a blue-screen on
me.  I was using it to edit a web page in DreamWeaver at the time - the page
included text and one picture (_no_ java or scripts or anything).  If it
can't do that without crashing the kernel, you expect me to run an
e-business on it?!

  The week before that (actually three weeks ago now) a single message in a
remote POP mailbox stopped the entire mail system from working.  Whenever it
attempted to get mail from that mailbox, the MAPI DLL would start taking up
99% of the CPU - forever.  The machine slowed to a crawl.  Now do they
propose that making all mail retrieval go through a single DLL is a good
idea for stability?  And why is it that Netscape had no problem reading it
(thus clearing the logjam)?  The IT guys had no idea what to do, they wanted
to do a re-install or suggested I use something else for POP because this
sort of thing happened "all the time".

  So maybe that's anecdotal, but frankly MS, I don't give a damb.

Maury