Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 02:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@yahoo.com>
To:        des@ofug.org, s337240@student.uq.edu.au, tedm@toybox.placo.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, djohnson@acuson.com, stuyman@confusion.net
Subject:   RE: Stallman stalls again

Dear Sirs,

>Late '99 I wrote a backend for gcc targeting the java virtual
>machine.
[SNIP]
>I recently asked RMS if he figured it would be worth my while to go
>and ask for the assignment again as I figured that after reaping
>nothing from the code for 18 months they may be more forthcoming.
>This is the response I got.  RMS essentially tells me to bury the code

>in the backyard because it might be "dangerous".

I am currently involved in a similar situation.
My introspector project extracts the ASTS out of the compiler into XML,
I am getting hostile mails from the gcc/fsf group.

It seems that there are not any real rules on this,
only FUD and opinions from the side of the people trying to stop all
"Dangerous" patches to the gcc.

I will be meeting with rms about this soon and need to know his
arguments from the past. He has sent me almost identical mails as well,
I think that I will have to fight over this.

Please tell me on what is going on with this issue,
I would like some advice on what my options are.

Is is not funny how the GCC people did not try and bury this guys
attempt at the same :
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-08/msg00696.html
“I'm writing a backend for GCC to compile to Java bytecode, and I'm
having some problems with function calls."

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-08/msg00696.html
this mail got him help from the compiler team.

Best Regards,
Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont