Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 12:44:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Dennis Tenn <dstenn@fanfic.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AfterStep 1.4.x

Sigh...

I guess I should have announced this on -questions in addition to sending
my updated port in...

> Has anyone been able to successfully compile and install this?

Yes - there are a number of apps that fail out of the box due to linux
centered code.  I've made a port of 1.4.5.3 and submitted it but it hasn't
been committed yet.  You can grab a copy of the port at:

	http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/afterstep-devel.tar.gz

> installing it (make install) I get an error in which it looks for a
> program called 'sgml2html' and can't find it.  This is when it tries to
> install the docs.  I basically remove it so it doesn't install the docs
> and all goes well with the install but no way of starting it.

For some reason the makefile tries to MAKE the html docs when they're
sitting there.  sgml2html is a utility to convert sgml docs to html.  It's
available in the ports (/usr/ports/textproc) and we (FreeBSD) use it to
make the docs for FreeBSD.

> I just noticed a 1.4.5.55 and will try that one soon.

DON'T!  This is a development version and has some VERY serious problems
(from the mouth of the present author of AS).  1.4.5.3 is the last stable
release.

> I would like to use 1.4.x just to see what it's like and would
> appreciate any insight into this.

There's not a lot of functionality difference between 1.0 and 1.4.* as far
as I can tell - there IS a great deal of ease however in configuration
in the 1.4.* versions.