Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:24:07 -0700
From:      Fred C <fred@bsdhost.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behavior with zfs

I have a FreeBSD box configured as a nfs server and a Mac with MacOS
10.5 as client.

On my FBSD box I have a zfs pool exported as you can seen in the
examples bellow. This filesystem is mounted on my Mac with the
following command "mount_nfs -P ..." When I copy some files from the
shell prompt everything works as expected. But when I use the Finder
and drop files into this mounted directory I got the following errors:

First message:
You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on
this computer to change the item named "xxx.html"

Second message:
The item "xxx.html" contains on or more items you do not have
permission to read. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to
read?

Third message:
The operation cannot ve copleted because you do not have sufficient
privileges for some of the items.

An empty file is created on the destination directory as shown bellow.
509:0-> ls -ltr /mnt2
total 265
-rw-r--r--@ 1 fred  wheel  135662 Apr  4 13:33 background.jpg
----------  1 fred  wheel       0 Apr  4 14:01 xxx.html

When I do the exact same operations on /export which is an UFS file
system everything works as expected. I have to permissions errors.

I am sorry for asking this long question on this group. Maybe the
problem is Mac related, but since this happen only with zfs on a
FreeBSD box, and a lot of people in this list use Macs, I thought you
may have an answer to that problem.

Here is somt information about FreeBSD Box:
#mount
/dev/ad3a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
space on /space (zfs, local)
space/home on /space/home (zfs, NFS exported, local)
/dev/md0 on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/md1 on /tmp (ufs, local)
/dev/da3a on /export (ufs, NFS exported, local)

# showmount -e
Exports list on localhost:
/space/home                        Everyone
/export                            Everyone

# zpool status
   pool: space
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	space       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  da0       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  da1       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  da2       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

# zfs list -o name,type,sharenfs,mountpoint
NAME              TYPE  SHARENFS  MOUNTPOINT
space       filesystem  off       /space
space/home  filesystem  on        /space/home

--
Fred C!
PGP-KeyID: E7EA02EC3B487EE9