Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2011 09:15:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kevin Kreamer <kevin@kreamer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security updates for packages?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010, Kevin Kreamer wrote:

> Having not used FreeBSD for several years, I did a fresh install yesterday
> of 8.1-RELEASE, and then used pkg_add -r to install several packages.  I
> then came across portaudit, ran it, and it indicated that I had three
> vulnerable packages (git, ruby, and sudo). Looking at
> http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/, it appears that these were reported in July,
> August, and September respectively.

You got the packages as they were at the release of 8.1 (July 23, 2010).

> Basically, I would think a freshly installed system would not have security
> vulnerabilities from months prior.  Is that an erroneous assumption on my
> part, am I just misunderstanding something, or do I have something
> misconfigured?

It's done (I think) to provide a known-working set of packages.  The
same effect is seen when things are installed from ports without
updating the ports tree first; it's a snapshot at that time.

You can adjust the PACKAGEROOT or PACKAGESITE variables.  See
pkg_add(1).  Or switch to using ports, updating the ports tree before
installing or updating applications.