Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 21:47:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Code freeze (was: Is tickadj still required in -CURRENT ?)

Last time I checked, we were not in code freeze.  We have been in a
feature freeze since Sept 15, but new features have been added since
then, by special arrangement with the release engineer.  Code freeze
doesn't happen until on or about Oct 15 when Jordan starts the release
process, assuming that we're ready.

: I suppose the next question is "When are we going to start Beta?"

When 3.0.0 ships, just like everyone else in the biz :-).  Back when
Jordan announced this date, it was made clear that we can do this now,
so we can get into line for pressing CDs for the xmas rush, or we wait
until approximately February to make the release.  The window to do a
release this year and have CDs before January is closing.  I don't
think there is anything so majorly broken with with FreeBSD to slip
the release out 5 months.  From my vantage point, 3.0.0 appears like
it is going to be fairly stable, but rough around many edges.  In the
absense of the CD pressing windows, I'd likely argue slipping things
out about a month given the level of activity that I'm seeing in the
commit messages.

It isn't the best possible way of doing a release, but it I find it to
be good enough, especially for an organization like FreeBSD.  In many
ways 3.0 represents such a large improvement in so many areas that it
is likely going to be a win to get it out sooner rather than later.
The only reason to hold up FreeBSD 3.0.0 that I can think of is if
there is some huge, ugly data corruption bug (or similar) that needs
to be killed.

All of this is just IMHO.

Warner