Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:49:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Ernst W. Winter" <ewinter@ewinter.org>
Subject:   Re: Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V

Ernst W. Winter <ewinter@ewinter.org> wrote:
 > well I have a cheap ACER Aspire 3002LC and I can say that most things
 > work that I need, that is USB, WLAN (extra PC-CARD) and the display
 > is in the range to  give good resolution on a standard vesa driver.

What is the resolution of the display?  I definitely want
more than the standard 1024x768.

 > > I'm aware that the built-in 56k/V.92 modem won't work,
 >
 > Interesting as I have a built in modem but haven't tried it yet.

If it's based on the common Lucent LT winmodem chip, then
there's a driver in the ports collection (comms/ltmdm).

In the case of the Samsung X20, however, it's built into
the ICH chipset.  There's no FreeBSD driver for it, AFAIK.
(Not a big problem for me, because I won't need it ... and
there are USB modems the size of a matchbox, so not a big
deal.)

 > > neither the TV-out, but I don't need those.  Also, I don't
 > > need 3D graphics acceleration.  If the graphics works at
 > > 1400 x 1050 in 2D VESA mode, that's enough for me.
 >
 > I have no TV out but if you like to see it work I can make arangement
 > to see you or at the office at BSn.

Thank you very much for the offer.

However, first I would like to find out more about that
Samsung X20.  If it works with FreeBSD, it would be my
first choice.  If it doesn't work, I'll probably keep
using my 4-years old notebook for the time being.

In fact, I've been (half-heartedly) looking for a new
notebook for more than a year already.  I don't have a
problem to keep looking for longer.  Of course, if my
old notebook breaks, I'll be under more pressure.  :-)
I hope that doesn't happen soon.

 > Another one I installed FreeBSD in Basel a couple weeks ago with
 > simelar results where most standard HW works was a ASUS A4712DLH with
 > all the works that I can imagine.

In fact, my old notebook (more than 4 years old) is from
ASUS (an L8400K), and I'm extremely satisfied with it.
The hardware is supported 100%, and I was even able to get
an US keyboard for it.  However, ASUS reputation has had
a few problems in recent months, especially their service.
There has been a very negative article about ASUS notebook
service in the latest issue of c't magazine.

Since I had very positive experience with Samsung service
recently (regarding an IDE HDD), that cheap Samsung X20
Notebook offer catched my interest, and I very much like
the technical data, particularly the 1400x1050 display and
the generous RAM and HDD sizes.  Also, my washing machine
is from Samsung.  :-)

 > It installed FreeBSD from a CD, but
 > I testet it first with PCBSD at the dealer and left the CD there as
 > they all got exited with PCBSD.

May I ask you what dealer that was?

Best regards
   Oliver

"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in its wake."