Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:42:35 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail_enable="NO"

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
>> On Dec 31, 2005, at 6:56 PM, security wrote:
>>
>>> And the rc.sendmail(8) under 5.4 stable says that "NONE" is
>>> deprecated and will be removed in a future release.  According to
>>> the man page,
>> It says that in 6.0 also, so it will probably be at least until 7.0
>> that it continues to work.
>>
>> Personally, I think having to set a bazillion variables to turn off
>> sendmail in rc.conf and periodic.conf is just a pain (and probably a
>
> Strongly seconded.  There should be one knob to disable the
> entire thing.  SENDMAIL_ENABLE=NO should disable *everything*
> without touching any other knobs.

First, rc.conf and periodic.conf are totally separate, so having just one
knob for both isn't practical now, but might be an interesting project down
the road. Second, IIRC the first implementation of sendmail_enable=no did
actually disable all of sendmail, but since people could not send mail
locally that turned out to be a POLA violation itself, so the current
two-stage system was developed. It's impossible to make everyone happy here,
so I think the current system is a reasonable compromise.

Doug