Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:12:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha kernel build failure (w/patch)

[trimmed -alpha from cc: list to keep the cross posting
 police from coming after me :)]

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Parag Patel wrote:

# On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 00:33:57 CDT, Steve Price wrote:
# >+#ifdef __i386__
# > 	sc->wb_btag = I386_BUS_SPACE_IO;
# >+#endif
# >+#ifdef __alpha__
# >+	sc->wb_btag = ALPHA_BUS_SPACE_IO;
# >+#endif
#
# Just curious, but is there a reason that these lines aren't simply
#
# 	sc->wb_btag = BUS_SPACE_IO;
#
# with this macro being set to the correct machine-specific one in some
# appropriate header file?  I'm sure I'm missing something...

I wondered that as well.  For both the i386 and alpha port
the definitions end up in /usr/include/machine/bus.h and
stripping off the arch-specific prefix shows that their value
is the same.  In fact they appear to be the only #define in
bus.h with the arch-specific prefix besides the multiple-inclusion
#defines.  I think they could be combined, but defer the
decision (commit) to the folks working on the new bus code
as they know their way around this code much better than I
do.

-steve