Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:11:31 -0400
From:      "Henke, Adrian" <Adrian.Henke@vh1.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   regarding execution paths

Hi -

I'm a complete FreeBSD newbie.  I have successfully installed the OS (from
the Power Pack CD) and configured an X Server.  My question is as follows:
how exactly do I setup and run the Gnome file manager?  That is, I can get
Enlightenment up, but I can't get any directory icons, i.e., a file manager,
up on the screen.  It appears that this may be an execution path issue.

I have read the handbook, as well as The Complete FreeBSD book included with
the CD and innumerable web-based tutorials, but I have been unable to find
any explicit or unambiguous directions regarding this.

Do I simply need to copy the entire gnome directory (with subdirectories)
into my /usr directory, or am I overlooking something?  Also, do I need to
make any of the files therein executable?  Lastly, what's the best method of
configuring the xinitrc file for this setup?

The gnome directory currently exists on my root filesystem, untouched after
installation.  I would have liked to try kde, but apparently the kdelibs1.0
file is required and doesn't seem to appear on the first CD-Rom.

If anyone can help me in any way regarding this, I would really appreciate
it!

Sincere thanks,
Adrian Henke