Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:51:59 -0800
From:      David McCord <tech@gv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   chpass -p dilema

Dear list,

I made a error that changed the root password to something unknown.
Experimenting, I intended to change the password of pjones, but instead
changed the root password since I gave no user argument. As root, I said:
chpass -p pjones

I logged out then logged back in as my username, then su'd to root. Would
not accept the old pw, and wouldn't accept pjones. I'm stuck with an
unknown root password.

man chpass tells me the argument provided with -p is the encrypted password
in crypt format, but doesn't provide enough detail to know where to go from
here. I know I can go to the computer and startup in single user and change
the root password. This computer is 2 hour round trip for me, which I'd
like to avoid. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
David