Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:32:34 -0800
From:      Simon Tsai <tsai@ci.ann-arbor.mi.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3com589d etherlink III pcmcia ethernet card

Dear FreeBSD:

I am running FreeBSD 2.2 release.  The 3com589d etherlink III card that
I have on my laptop can not be found by the kernel even though I have
compiled the kernel with the right irq (11) and address (0x300).  As I
understand, 3c589d etherlink III is supported by FreeBSD, right?

On my laptop, there are 2 type3 slots and one type2 slot.  The card
could only be probed(seen) when I insert the card in type3 slot by
FreeBSD, although windoezNT could see it in the type2 and type3 slots.
During booting in FreeBSD, when probing for IBM/Semiconductor pcmcia
cards, I did see s string saying "3com589 etherlink III ....." right
after "ze:", but there is nothing after "zp:" and neither ze0 nor zp0
could be found.  If I remove ze from my kernel configuration, I would
not see that string anymore.  But I thought zp0 is the symbol for 3com
why 3com card is seen when probing IBM's device?

I noticed that pcic0 is using irq5 so I changed the soundblaster card's
irq to numbers other than 5 but it did not help either.  The sound card
is built-in on motherboard.  I could not see any other possible built-in
device irq conflict....

I did have the options "LINT_PCCARD_HACK" compiled into the kernel, and
pcic0 support compiled.  So what is wrong?

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Sincerely,

Simon Tsai
GIS Programmer/Analyst