Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:20:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        james@hermes.cybernetics.net (James Robinson)
Cc:        antwerp@whisker.hubbard.ie, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do you want some help with the FreeBSD docs?

James Robinson writes:
> John Fieber is more or less our boss dude (slavedriver that he is :), but
> has been absent for the past little while -- whassup John?

Er, um... On leave.  Really, I am very dedicated to the cause but
Real Life (tm) has intruded sucking up nearly every spare moment
I have.  :(

> SCSI document -- great!). We use a variant of the Linux DTD layered on
> top of SGML to do the documents -- anyone know where John's latest
> package containing his updated scripts / DTD is? let me know and I'll add
> a pointer to it in the faq-new page.

Some minor corrections, at this point we are using the Linuxdoc
DTD, not a variant of it and "layered on top of SGML" isn't
really correct, but whatever...

To process documents tagged according to the linuxdoc DTD you
need (1) the DTD, (2) the sgmls SGML parser and companion program
sgmlsasp, (3) the "replacement" files that sgmlsasp uses to map
tags in the original SGML document into whatever output you want
(e.g. HTML tags, LaTeX, troff, etc.), and (4) a program to tie it
all together.

#1 and #3 come as one package and #2 can be had at
ftp://ftp.jclark.com/.  It should compile out of the box on 2.0R
and later systems and I have some patches that work under 1.1.5.1
(at least).

#4 is a problem.  What comes in the linuxdoc packge is really
ugly but sort of works.  I started a rewrite in perl but ran out
of spare time.  I mailed what I had to Gary Clark.

I also started some modifications to the linuxdoc DTD, but at
this point, I think it would be a better plan to migrate over to
the docbook dtd.  Unfortunately, conversion tools are not (yet)
publically available and the complexity of the DTD makes it
moderately difficult to whip up a production quality converter.

> The INSTALL document is the main thing to help people get the system up,
> along with the ultra-friendly install procedures themselves (I'm not
> being sarcastic there -- it really tries to hold your hand, IMO).

However, this document overlooks some fundamental questions like
where do I find the distribution, what files do I need to
download, and what do I do with them once I've downloaded them.
I've been with this since the early 386BSD days and I couldn't
even figure out how to do an install from tape because the
relevant information was not provided until late in the
installation process.  I like to have everything prepared for the
installation BEFORE I start and I know other people do as well.

What the install document desparately needs is an overview.  The
current one grabs your hand and stampeeds into the details
without stopping to mention where you are going.  The document
should start with table of contents something like:

1. Basic hardware requirements
2. What the installation process will do to your system
   2.1 repartition your hard drive
3. Preparing for the installation
   3.1 Choose a method
       3.1.1 CD-ROM
       3.1.2 FTP
       3.1.3 DOS partition
       3.1.4 Tape
       3.1.n ...
   3.2 Making a boot floppy (Including the dd commands!)
4. Phase I: preparing the system
   4.1 Starting the installation
   4.2 Creating a slice for FreeBSD
   4.3 Creating a Disklabel
   4.4 Formatting the slice
   4.5 Booting from the hard drive
5. Phase II: Installing the distributions

Okay, I've got to go back into my hole again....

-john