Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:32:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        mango@staff.communique.net, oblio@eyeintegrated.com, rwm@tansoft.com, nasir@asacomputers.com, info-gbt@giga-byte.com, gigabyte@tpts1.seed.net.tw, xiyuan@npc.haplink.com.cn, hank@wsm.com, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, jack@rome.cs.miami.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, edmond@shaman.cup.hp.com, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stealth-admin@viaduk.net, fischer@nwe.ufl.edu, casanoba@ailab10.sogang.ac.kr, stevet@acs.stritch.edu, joe@monk.via.ne, tef@postgres.dtcom.dp.ua, obrien@nuxi.com, piet@piet.net, piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, ckempf@enigami.com, dg@root.com
Subject:   RE: Looking for Suggestion on Booting FreeBSD 3.0 on a Gigabyte

On 15-Jan-99 Piet Delaney wrote:

()      I thought it was about time to try out
()  FreeBSD, most likely 3.0, so I picked up a PC
()  board from Gigabyte, the GA-6BXDS Dual Scsi-3
()  that has an onboard Adaptec 7895 controler.
()  About a year ago you (David) said Justin was working
()  on a 7895 scsi controler. I didn't see anything
()  in the FreeBSD handbook on support for the Adaptic
()  7895 (seems to be getting rather out of date).
()  Now I've read from Cory that you need a CAM scsi
()  driver. Last I see it was still only available as
()  patches. Why is it taking so long to get it integrated
()  into the current src? So I have to get an IDE drive and
()  install onto that, get the CAM patches (from where?),
()  run patch, etc... and linux supports it a standard
()  controler? I can't believe this.

3.0-RELEASE and newer uses CAM as default supporting 7895 and a bunch of
other newer Adaptec chipsets. We have three machines here with an Asus
P2B-S motherboard that run fine. We have recently upgraded all of them
to the 3.0-CURRENT tree as we run a local CVS archive.

Seems like your information is pretty old.

We have decided to use -CURRENT for what is usually called a "production
machine" that won´t run very critical applications these days (our own
fax server, our own news server, experimental database server). So we
will see if it runs "stable enough" for our purpose. For now, it looks
very good and we didn't experience any serious problems yet.

()  Perhaps you could update me on the 7895 support
()  and perhaps have some suggestion on setting up this
()  board to run FreeBSD. For example can I boot the
()  3.0 FreeBSD off of a CDROM on the scsi adapters;
()  I sort of doubt it.

My 3.0-RELEASE CD-ROM had no problems booting on the machines mentioned
above. They also had no problems with running a custom install :-)

Look at http://www.freebsd.org/ (which is always a good starting point
for asking most main questions about FreeBSD) at the release information
for 3.0. It says:

1. What's new since 2.2.X-RELEASE
---------------------------------
All changes described here are unique to the 3.0 branch unless
specifically marked as [MERGED] features.

1.1. KERNEL CHANGES
-------------------
o The 2.2.x SCSI subsystem has been almost entirely replaced with
  a new "CAM" (Common Access Method) SCSI system which offers
  improved performance, better error recovery and support for more
  SCSI controllers.

(and it says more, of course, but I didn´t to quote that all)

There is also a 2.2-CAM tree available, but I have no experiences with
that, look at ftp.freebsd.org.

Regards,

Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387