Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:40:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith White <Keith.White@site.uottawa.ca>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Maruyama Fuyuhiko <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some bugs exist in JDK for FreeBSD.

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > When you try division of two special int values, x86 cpu causes
> > SIGFPE.  You can easily see it.  Try this "Test.java" compile with
> > FreeBSD's javac.
> >
> > public class Test {
> >     public static void main(String[] args) {
> > 	System.out.println("0x80000000 / -1 = " + (0x80000000/-1));
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > I think only this combination (i.e. 0x80000000/-1) causes unexcepted
> > SIGFPE, so JavaVM may easily handle it.  Our JIT compiler can handle
> > it in support functions for JIT compiled methods, but I think JavaVM
> > should handle it by itself!
> >
> > This bug may exist all version of JDK for FreeBSD (may be in Linux
> > version), but I have checked only these versions.
> >
> > jdk1.1.8_AOUT.V99-7-19.tar.gz
> > jdk1.1.8_ELF.V99-7-19.tar.gz
>
> Thanks for pointing this out, we'll look into this!

I have fixed this bug.  The problem is that DIVIDE traps are sent
as SIGFPE and we didn't trap and interpret this signal like Solaris.  Since
we need a working executeJava_p5 to trap these signals, I backported the JDK1.2
cpuid patch.  (Now we'll finally be able to use the assembler version of
the JVM for JDK1.1.x.  Things should speed up a bit...)

Commits to follow after 3.x verification.

...keith
--
Keith White, EITI/SITE, University of Ottawa
kwhite@site.uottawa.ca [+1 613 562 5800 x6681] FAX [+1 613 562 5187]