Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 1997 13:09:37 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scary DPT problem.

Hi,

> Using DPT-1.2.4 with 3.0/SMP.
>
> I was running a test of adding 25000 accounts and removing them, and
> making sure everything was hunky-dory, when the dreaded:
>
> "DPT: Undocumented Error"
> db>
>
> Occurs.
>
> OK, Happened in the past.  Hit the reset switch:  "No Operating System".
> Power-Cycle "No Operating System".  Swear, curse, cry, yell, shake.
>
> Power-cycle it, and let it sit.  It finally reboots, but the passwd file
> .db's are completely hosed. and /etc/group is a goner.
>
> Makes me nervous to deploy this out in the sticks... I'm hoping it's just
> an SMP or 3.0-current problem, as opposed to some deep dark nasty DPT
> issue.

SMP-current should definitely NOT be used for anything critical right now!
We KNOW we have a show-stopper in there...  It probably affects ALL SMP
systems, just bites some earlier than others.

On the bright side, we are closing in on it, and hopefully will have a
resolution by later today (no promises).
--
Steve Passe	| powered by