Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:03:59 +0100
From:      Fredrik Lindberg <fli@shapeshifter.se>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bridged networking for virtualbox on -current?

Doug Barton wrote:
> Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>>> Is bridged networking for vbox supposed to work on -current? It says
>>> on the wiki that it does, but I tried it tonight and couldn't get it
>>> to work.
>>>
>>> I did see one page that suggested trying one of the Intel virtual
>>> nicks, which I did, no luck.
>>>
>>> If this is not supposed to work it would be nice to update the wiki, I
>>> spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work that I hope was not
>>> wasted.
>>>
>> The short answer is that it should work.  The long answer is that
>> it depends, for example it doesn't play nice when trying to
>> bridge a virtual nic with an if_bridge interface.
>>
>> A slightly more verbose description of your environment and what
>> error messages you're seeing would probably help.
>
> Thanks. I'm using an up to date -current, and my outgoing nic is
> wlan0. I followed the instructions on the wiki. I first tried the
> default nic in OSE then I tried the first Intel nic on the list (which
> required downloading drivers of course).

Which type of virtual interface you're using in virtualbox doesn't
matter. However, it hits me that I've actually never really tested
the bridging code with a wireless interface and it looks like you've
hit a bug.  I tried to use a wireless interface just now and it
doesn't work, need to look into why though.

Fredrik