Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:07:29 -0400
From:      "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
To:        Hartong <hartong@erols.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD ROM Installation Failure on BSD 2.2.6 (fwd)

Hartong wrote:

> Hi Doug....
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> To add fuel to the fire. :-)   I did a DOS partition installation, so have
> FreeBSD up and running.  I had to comment out the second IDE controller to
> bypass the CD-ROM.  The installation went like clockwork after that.  Kudo's
> are due to the installation team programmers.  It is equally good, if not
> better, than the RedHat and Slackware installation programs.  I have a
> minimal DOS 6.0 installation in wds01a (128M) and a complete FreeBSD
> installation in wds02a (908M).
>
> Once installed, I created a custom kernel, this time including the second
> IDE controller, and including the ATAPI source code directives.  Everything
> compiled perfectly and I installed as the primary boot kernel.  Now for the
> "It's Unix magic..."  When booting I get the same "ATAPI1.O: INVALID COMMAND
> PHASE,  IREASON=0xd8, STATUS=d8<BUSY,READY,OPDONE,IRQ>,  ERROR=d8<mchg>"
> error message BUT the boot process continues with no hang-up.  I can mount
> and dismount the CD-ROM to my hearts content any Walnut Creek 9660 format
> disk I've been able to throw at it.

[SNIP]

I've got the following warning since I installed the same disk. Though
I'm using current
which doesn't seem to be the case with you.
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <NEC                 CD-ROM DRIVE:273/4.26>,
removable, iordy
atapi1.1: unknown phase

It never affected my use of the drive so I just ignore it. I used to
have a patch to
remove the warning (I was not able to find the specs of the drive at the
time so I
just ignored the state...) but I lost it in a disk crash and was too
busy (well... let's
say it was more laziness :) to do it again. If some ATAPI/CD-ROM guru
want to have more
information about the phase I can gladly give the information.

Regards,

Stephane