Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 12:00:47 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   K6 & PPro specific instructions

I'm a little unclear on this - my K6 reports itself as a 586 class CPU under
FreeBSD, but I was wondering if it implemented some of the PPro specific
instructions/features.

I'm quite happy with it - it's a K6-233, does a make buildworld in 1hr 20m
(NOTCL, but with profiled libs, /usr/src mounted noatime, /usr/obj async,
48Mb, 512k cache, 2 SCSI drives hanging off an NCR-875). My old CPU (P5-120)
did a make world in 3hrs.

Oddly enough, where I used to have occasional hangs and crashes (which seemed
hardware related, for a long time I was blaming the memory) it's now solid as
a rock.

	Stephen