Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 22:29:22 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: {kbd,vid}control insanity patch

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> writes:
> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>
> > Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
> > >
> > > No, they're global.
> >
> > Okay, then that leaves -f, -F, -b, and -r in kbdcontrol.  The patch
> > attached below moves those to vidcontrol as -F, -G, -B, and -R,
> > respectively.  If this ends up getting committed I'll gladly nuke
> > allscreens_kbdflags.
>
> Not OK.  The "vid" in vidcontrol means "video", not "vty".  The keyboard
> functions were intentionally split off from the video functions when
> vidcontrol(1) and kbdcontrol(1) were spawned from syscons(1).  Everything
> may belong in syscons(1) again, but the interfaces should not be
> gratuitously different from those in the utilities for other console
> drivers.  pcvt already has enough gratuitous differences in its scon(1)
> and kcon(1) utilities.

I'm not quite sure what you're objecting to here; is it the option
names (the fact that they'd have to be different) or that
keyboard-related options are going into vid[eo]control?  Perhaps both?

Anyway, the option names are different simply because vidcontrol
already has options with the orignal letters.  I agree with your
assertion that keyboard stuff shouldn't be in a program that's
supposed to control video.  However, DES is right that it is
needlessly confusing to have two programs for vty-specific syscons
stuff.  So what do you (and Sheldon) suggest?  Rename vidcontrol to
<something-else>control?  Is the reason for splitting syscons(1) into
kbdcontrol(1) and vidcontrol(1) still valid (what was the reason,
anyway?)?

Regards,

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org