Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:21:42 +0200
From:      "pobox@verysmall.org" <pobox@verysmall.org>
To:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris <snagit@cbpratt.prohosting.com>
Subject:   Re: cvsup between levels, single user issue

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Chris <snagit@cbpratt.prohosting.com> writes:
>
>> I was going to attempt an in-place upgrade of a light load server
>> running 5.3 to bring it to 6.1 RELEASE P6 (RELENG_6_1). I read in
>> UPDATING that going between 5.x and 6.x requires single user mode
>> which isn't an option on a remote machine (though I can stop
>> sendmail, bind, popper etc manually but not that which keeps me on
>> like sshd). I've not taken a machine to single user yet during my
>> builds but have always had the box in my possession and on my private
>> net when I've done that. I saw threads even today that left the issue
>> somewhat up in the air. I still need to protect the machine. Would a
>> doable jump be to move the machine to RELENG_5_5 remotely or would
>> that most likely be unsuccessful without going single user? There is
>> no exotic hardware on the
>> box. _______________________________________________
>
> Look at it this way.  Yes, in most cases, an update can be done
> without using single-user mode, but what are you going to do if
> your new kernel doesn't boot?  [If you've already installed the
> userland before that, you are well and truly stuck.  So at least
> make sure you reboot with the new kernel before starting the
> installworld.]

I was the origin of one of the recent questions touching the problem
with updating a remote server.

There were quite detailed answers that sum up to three ways -

1. Somebody at the remote site does the last 3-4 steps. This requires
someone who knows what to do as mergemaster is interactive.

2. Some kind of back door through a serial cable/modem.

3. The 'do not worry' approach - finish without dropping to single user
mode, just stop all services except ssh. Several people said they have
done it successfully for years and years.

May be there were some more or variations which I miss.

What I did not quite get is - what damage can be done if update is not
done in single user mode? Let's say, as Lowell says - we reboot just to
test the new kernel. If it boots, we stop all services except ssh (does
'all services' mean all listed in rc.conf), install world, mergemaster
and reboot.

Iv.