Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:12:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, David O'Brien <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "litos2001@libero.it" <litos2001@libero.it>
Subject:   Re: Startup scripts a la NetBSD

David Xu wrote:

> Hello Doug,
>
> Tuesday, April 03, 2001, 6:26:10 AM, you wrote:
>
> DW> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, David Xu wrote:
>
> >> In the past, I saw lots of people refused to see rc.d style in
> >> FreeBSD, include some guys in core team, at that time, I'm very
> >> disappointed, why is it back again? is this just because of NetBSD?
>
> DW> Because sysv-style init scripts actually make sense for both admins and
> DW> installed packages? It's not traditionally BSD, but unfortunately programs
> DW> are much more complex today, generally with multiple daemons and
> DW> interdependencies for starting up properly.  A vendor-supplied script
> DW> makes sure everything is set up to start the daemons/packages correctly,
> DW> and gives a nice start/stop knob for the admin to control it with.
>
> DW> For the record, I hacked up this pile of scripts to emulate one runlevel,
> DW> along with a linux-style chkconfig(8) script.  You just have to call the
> DW> start-rc3.sh script at some point in the boot, and stop-rc3.sh when
> DW> shutting down. Since we have rc.shutdown.d you don't have to edit
> DW> rc.shutdown anymore.  If you really want Linnex-style /etc/rc.d/init.d/
> DW> and friends, this will give it to you.
>
> DW> It should be in
> DW> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/dwhite/sysvrc-1.1.tar.gz,
> DW> or any other MASTER_SITE_LOCAL mirror.
>
> DW> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> DW> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org
>
> I like the idea, it has unique start/stop interface, I needn't
> remember obscure parameters for every daemon, it really got me.
> but am I dreaming? I suspect it will never be native supported
> in FreeBSD.

That depends on what you mean by "sysv-like".  If you want runlevels 0-6
supported by init, probably not.  If you want individual packages started
by their own scripts, FreeBSD already has this to some extent, and even
allows you to add directories.  See /etc/defaults/rc.conf, which contains:

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d"

This allows everything you want above, for packages that are added to
FreeBSD.  It does not handle dependencies between packages, or state
a startup order between directories in $local_startup or between the
scripts in each directory.

If you'd like to improve any of the above, or to move parts of the
standard system startup scripts to, for instance, /etc/rc.d, with
some explicit ordering, we'd like to hear it.

This is FreeBSD, patches talk.