Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:30:54 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for a Good FreeBSD and General Unix Backup System

	Several months ago, I started using dar to backup a
number of FreeBSD and Linux systems to one FreeBSD box. It
worked fine once one got the syntax of the remote commands
working, but then it all died when I moved it to a new
FreeBSD6.3 system.

	If I can't figure out what is wrong or whether it is
worth fixing, I am going to have to find some other archiver so
we can get good backups and trust them to be easily restored.

	What we plan to do is backup a bunch of Unix systems to
one FreeBSD box and then use a commercial package to back that
box up to an enterprise-wide system we use. The archiver we need
must be able to make 1 full backup of each system like tar and
then incrementals until we are ready for another full backup.

	Any suggestions as to what is best? Dar seemed to be
okay until the incrementals would hang each time with some error
messages about the format version being too high which is bogus
because we are using the same version for all the effected
systems.

	The archive files should use tar or some other common
storage method so we could unpack an archive from a Linux system
in to a FreeBSD directory or vice versa.

	Any backup packages using tar would be fine as long as
they can do incremental backups and use ssh as the transport.

	Any ideas are appreciated.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer